Monday 19 December 2011

the night gardener (this is another failed attempt at writing a book review, so bear with me)

Yesterday, I read The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos and... I loved it! It's about an unsolved murder case called the Palindrome Murder that brought three policemen back together (not in a cheesy, romantic way) after twenty years.

The book can be divided in 2: the main plot, and the sub plot.

The book could do without the sub plot, but it adds to the sadness in the ending. Which I love!

I'd write down the summary, but my mind is not capable of putting events in order so I'll just give you a link! The summary's a little sketchy and really incomplete... but it's a lot better than what I would've given you! :D

It's a really wonderful and complicated story that makes you think alongside the characters. The beginning might be a little bit boring, but it gets better, I swear.

The book discusses racism, drug dealing and using, and other illegal stuff a lot. The language is a little inappropriate, but then again, maybe that's 'cause I'm 15 and I live in a conservative country.

I'd recommend this book to the ones who are mature enough to not jack off at the mention of sex and everytime someone gets laid. 'Cause that happens a lot. It ain't for them weak-hearted peeps who shrivel at the mention of "fuck" or "penis." (Haha. I'm so street authentic.) Also, don't go hatin' on the book just because of how flagrant the racism is. THAT'S THE REAL WORLD, PEOPLE.

And since I absolutely suck at writing book reviews and I don't know what else to say, I'll quote some of my favourite lines!

"At one time that girl was a baby that someone held and sang to at night."
"If you say so."
"And look where she is now. Not that I blame her for giving her love to a man. You know, devoting all my time to my sons and this job, it's easy for people to forget that I'm still a woman. Even a Christian woman like me, well, every once in a while, I have the need for some penis."
"For real?"
"This Dominique Lyons fella, though, he must have one special penis. I'm talkin about the kind of penis that could make a girl dance naked in a bar and give up her hard-earned money to him at the end of the night. The kind of penis that could make her prostitute herself in a roach-infested crib with no furniture or food or drink, and make her feel like a  loyal queen. I'm sayin, that must be one extraordinary penis."
"Okay."
"Gus?" Rhonda Willis turns the key on the ford. "I do not need that kind of penis."
(p. 171-172)


"Well, we didn't exactly say we'd stay out of it."
"Did he ask a question? I was just nodding my head to the music."
"So was I."
"Want another beer?"
(p. 237)


"Trick-ass bitch ain't said nary a word yet," said Antonelli.
"I love it when you talk like that, Tony," said Green. "It's so street authentic."
(p. 274)


"Damn."
"That's your daughter."
"That's not my daughter. That's a seven-year-old chastity belt."
(p. ???)


And that's it for today's horrible book review! This is a lot of work so be thankful 'cause there's a big chance that this is the one I'll ever write!



Lesson for the day: Never give your children palindromic names.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was a pretty good book review! You don't give yourself enough credit where credit is due!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assuming you're not being sarcastic.. Thanks! Haha. I really have no idea what to put in a book review. I was just looking for something to post and this thing happened. It's nice to know someone read this and didn't burn his eyes out! (But if you did, I am, in no way, responsible for your medical bills.)

    ReplyDelete