Thursday 23 February 2012

this is my lent post

So.. Lent has officially started and I honestly don't care that much. But since I am (supposedly) Christian and I've suffered the itchiness caused by bearing an ash cross on my forehead for a whole day, I felt obliged to at least post something about Lent. And here it is.

Today is Ash Wednesday. It's a Wednesday.. and it's the start of Lent.. and they put an ash cross on your forehead on this day to remind you that you came from ashes and to ashes you will return or something that sounds like that.

The ash cross is very itchy. Sometimes, you forget about its presence and absent-mindedly scratch the itchy spot so that when you look down to see black stuff beneath your nails, you panic and hurriedly look for a mirror to check if your cross still looks like a cross.

...
Okay that was pretty bad. Sorry God. I'm just losing my faith in the Church because of Rizal. After reading his book (Noli Me Tangere), I'm starting to see all religious traditions as scams that help make fat, perverted friars, if possible, even fatter and more perverted.

I'd like to say that I'm giving up internet for Lent... but I'm not that pretentious. It ain't happening, no. And come on. Forty days with no internet. That's like 40 days of existence. 40 days of just existing. Not thinking. Not feeling, not living. And a lot of other nots.

I really should be sleeping right now. I should've been sleeping 5 hours ago. So with this and a quick sorry to God--sorry, God--I end this lame Lent post.



Lesson for the day: Religious occasions are a nice way to avoid having to think of what to post.


OH HEY IGNORE THE DAY WHEN THIS WAS POSTED 'CAUSE 'YA KNOW. I TYPED THIS AT 2AM AND MY SENSE OF TIME WAS TERRIBLY OFF.

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was Ash Wednesday until my mom found me eating ham for lunch. Whoops.
    I wish I could give up internet. But I don't have that much willpower, I'm sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say you give up Christianity for Lent. Or just give up Lent for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have too much to do on the internet to give it up. Way too much. But good for you for taking a break. We all need that from time to time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've given up lentils...it felt right

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I use to go to church on Ash Wednesday when I was a kid. I was always freakin out about the rules... when am I allowed to wash the ash off? do I have to wait for the ashes just to rub off on their own?? am I allowed to scratch my forehead??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've given up giving things up! ;D x

    ReplyDelete